Over 15 Years' Experience in Delivering Results
Your American Dream is Just Around the Corner

Connecticut Citizenship & Immigration Lawyer

How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship

There are several ways to obtain American citizenship. The most typical way is being born an American citizen—being born in the United States or a U.S. territory, as well as being born abroad with at least one parent who is an American citizen. A non-American citizen can also apply for American citizenship after birth, a process known as naturalization. Parents who become naturalized may be able to grant such status to their children, and U.S. citizens who adopt children from abroad can grant American citizenship to the children they adopt.

The naturalization process is complex and potentially lengthy, but our skilled Connecticut immigration lawyers with knowledge of the immigration process can work to improve your chances of a successful outcome. At the Law Offices of James A. Welcome, our firm has handled numerous immigration cases, and we have vigorously advocated on behalf of undocumented immigrants in Connecticut from our offices in Waterbury, Danbury, and Norwalk.

Naturalization Requirements

In order to become a naturalized American citizen, there are a number of requirements you have to meet.

In addition to completing tests measuring your knowledge of both Civics and English, there are several other criteria a naturalization application needs to meet, including:

  • Being at least 18 years of age when filing for the Form N-400, known as the Application for Naturalization.
  • Be a resident of the United States with a green card for 5 years with a clean legal record.
  • Provide evidence of maintaining physical presence in the United States for 30 months.
  • Demonstrate you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) district where you are applying.
  • Show a written and verbal command of English, as well as ability to read English.
  • Show knowledge of American history and the U.S. government.
  • Demonstrate yourself as someone who has good moral character.

If you have served in the military or have a spouse who is a U.S. citizen, the requirements you need to meet may vary from those above. Contact an attorney for more information.

Need an Immigration Lawyer? We Represent Both English, Portuguese & Spanish Speakers.

A qualified immigration attorney can help you navigate the naturalization process. Our attorneys happily provide consultations on immigration cases. We have represented clients from many different countries including Albania, Macedonia, Portugal, Brazil, Guyana, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, England, Ghana, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Haiti and many more countries and territories.

Please contact our Connecticut immigration attorney today to get started. Se habla español. Nós falamos Portugues.

Let's Get Started Together

Fill Out the Form Below or Give Us a Call to Schedule Your Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.