Waterbury Family Visas Attorney

Our Waterbury Immigration Lawyers Helping Your Family

Family-based immigration visas allow immigrants to become permanent residents of the United States through a family member who is already lawfully residing in the country. The process begins when a family member files an immigration petition on your behalf; from then on, this person will be referred to as your "sponsor." In order to ensure that your sponsor meets the age and relationship requirements for fulfilling this role, contact a Norwalk immigration attorney at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome.

Unlimited Family Visas

  • Visas for spouses (IR-1)
  • Visas for unmarried children under the age of 21 (IR-2)
  • Visas for orphans who are adopted abroad (IR-3)
  • Visas for orphans who are adopted in the United States (IR-4)
  • Visas for the parents of U.S. citizens (IR-5)

Family Preference Visas

Family-based visas are also given out based on family preference, essentially providing visas only to immigrants who are specific relatives of lawful permanent residents of the U.S or of U.S. citizens. These visas are referred to as LPR (lawful permanent resident) visas, and the number of these visas issued each year is limited.

  • First Preference Visas (F-1): Visas for unmarried sons and daughters. These visas are limited to 23,400.
  • Second Preference Visas (F-2): Visas for spouses, unmarried children, and minor children. These visas are limited to 114,200.
  • Third Preference Visas (F-3): Visas for married sons and daughters. These visas are limited to 23,400.
  • Fourth Preference Visas (F-4): Visas for siblings and the spouses and minor children of these siblings. These visas are limited to 65,000.

For help filing your petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), contact us at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome.

Our legal team is bilingual; we speak English and Spanish fluently. If you have questions about the possible family law visas that may be available to you and your family, you can speak to a lawyer at our Waterbury immigration office.

We also serve New Haven County and all of Connecticut, including Danbury, and Norwalk.