Over 15 Years' Experience in Delivering Results
Your American Dream is Just Around the Corner

Connecticut Student Visa Lawyers

Pursue Your Future with the Law Offices of James A. Welcome

Applying for a student visa should be handled with an attention to detail. You wouldn't want one mistake to cost you the ability to enter the U.S. as a student. If you are interested in applying for an F-1, M-1, or J-1 student visa, you can learn more about the process by speaking with a Connecticut immigration attorney at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome.

Criteria for a Student Visa

Before applying for a student visa to the U.S., all interested parties must first become certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program.

To enter the United States on a student visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an academic, vocational, or language program.
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student.
  • You must be enrolled in a school that has been approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • You must have the finances to support yourself during your studies.
  • You must be proficient in the English language or you must be in the U.S. to study English.
  • You must have residence abroad and you must not intend to lose it.

If you have additional questions about the requirements listed above, we urge you to speak with an immigration lawyer at our firm. We can answer your questions and help guide you through the application process.

Types of Student Visas

There are several main types of visas available to students looking to enter the U.S.

  • F-1 Academic Student Visa: The F-1 visa can be used by anyone who wants to become a full-time student. It can be utilized by students at almost every grade level, from elementary school students all the way to university students. F-1 student visas are only given to students who are enrolled in a program that will ultimately yield a degree or diploma, or in some cases, a certificate.
  • M-1 Vocational Student Visa: The M-1 visa can be used by students who wish to attend a vocational school or another type of non-academic program. Students who utilize this visa must be enrolled as full-time students of their programs.
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Visa: The J-1 visa allows over 300,000 visitors to be a part of 15 program categories that are designed for cultural exchange. Not all of these categories have to do with schooling. This visa provides for visitors to have an immersive experience in American culture and be able to impart some of their own culture to their host communities.

Se Habla Español. Contact Our Connecticut Immigration Lawyer.

Find out more about what visas you may be able to apply for by getting in touch with our Connecticut student visa attorneys at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome. We have offices located in Danbury, Woodbury, and Norfolk, and are available for appointments over evenings and weekends. You can count on us for personal service backed by years of experience.

Contact us today to speak with a Connecticut student visa lawyer.

Let's Get Started Together

Fill Out the Form Below or Give Us a Call to Schedule Your Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.